Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Autism


I attend a small writing class that happens to be completely filled with girls. It is very interesting to watch how they behave when guys aren't around. (They feel comfortable enough around me to forget I'm there at times.) Even more interesting to note is the Autistic girl. She is a very friendly person, but the differences are bright as day. She once jumped from her seat out of dead silence and asked, "Is it true that some people have mental problems and they think they're really young and they act really young even though they're really adults? Is that true?"
It was a depressing moment. She was speaking about herself, albeit unknowingly.
Yesterday she got up and wrote on the board the following words:
"An EKG measures your Broccoli"
She then asked if it was true what she said, and I told her no. Then she laughed heartily and said, "I'm funny aren't I!"

"You're hilarious."

She's good hearted. Today a group of non-autistic, although I won't go so far as to say "normal" ;), girls were somewhat harassing her. She started it. She started it by seeing cleavage and complaining about how cleavage is bad.
"Well don't look at it."
"I can't help it I have to look at it."
The girls got annoyed and were less than polite with her.
Then she saw asscrack.
"I see London I see France, I see someone's underpants. Pull your pants up please."
And of course this just embarassed the girl who was letting it all hang out, but once again she and the other girls were less than polite with the Autistic one.

It's a real struggle for both groups. On one hand, the autistic girl is aware she's different, although she clearly doesn't realize to what extent, and on the other everyone else is expected to surround her and make her feel normal when she makes everyone else feel out of place.
I'm not going to say that it's wrong for those without disabilities to get fed up with those who do have them, but those who aren't functioning on the same level as the majority can't help it. It's not their fault.

No comments: