Sunday, November 25, 2007

Girls and Games

Typically when "Girl" is associated with "Game" it is some hot japanese chick from something like Final Fantasy or Dead Or Alive. Every now and then you meet a special breed however, a rare type of girl who actually plays games. I'm not talking about the loopy kind who play The Little Mermaid on Gameboy and are probably half psychotic. No, I'm talking about a normal female who plays video games (although they can hardly be considered normal at that point). I met a few of these on WoW, however most of them were married to fellow gamers. They weren't every nerd gamers dream- a busty, hot chick in a school girl outfit with slim glasses who could solo your 3v3 team in WoW or Overkill you in Halo 3. I'm still not convinced these actually exist.

Jade Raymond. Does that name sound familiar? She's a key member of the Ubisoft Montreal team, and she's beautiful. She's a prime example of the Rare Breed.

Today I was browsing Gamestop with my girlfriend, and no, she doesn't not play games, she's just great company, when something caught my eye. It was shaped somewhat like an hourglass, its chest protruded oddly, and its hair was long and blonde. I didn't know what to make of it. Then it hit me. There was a female in Gamestop. What's more is she wasn't a customer, she was an employee! I was stunned. My heart lept for joy when I realized it was a woman. The gaming community doesn't just need women in games, it needs women with games! Sure, you can go to game conventions and see slim and sexy asian chicks dressed up as different characters, but to work at a gamestore you have to know what you're doing. This woman knows what she's doing.

"Thats what small step for gamers, one giant leap for gamerkind."
-Neil Armstrong




Thank you, Gamestop Woman.

No comments: